Monday, October 6, 2008

Good Grief!

dear daughters,

Have you ever been made fun of? I have. It hurts. It’s especially hard to take when we are being made fun of for being good. I found out on graduation night from high school that several of my classmates thought I was a “goody two-shoes.” The kids in my class thought of me as being too good to have any fun, and they gave me grief over it. But the truth is, not having fun with the group was probably more about my being shy than about being good at that time of my life. I wasn’t a perfect teenager. I certainly wasn’t good 100% of the time. But while I wasn’t the “goody two-shoes” they thought I was, I was too good to have the kind of “fun” some of the kids at school were having.

Even today, there are other people who have all kinds of “fun” that I choose not to have. Sometimes it can be hard not to join the party. And sometimes by not following the crowd I have paid the price with friendships. But God tells us not to be deceived: “Bad company corrupts good morals.” (1 Corinthians 15:33) And He says “A good name is to be more desired than great riches.” (Proverbs 22:1)

When we choose to be good for God, we sometimes get a bad rap with some people. But God promises that we’d rather get a bad rap from others than have a bad reputation with Him. So stand strong in your faith, stand up for what’s good, and stand in front of God one day in heaven and hear Him say, “Way to be good! Now come in and have some real fun for eternity!”

living to love, loving to live,
momma b

No comments: